Monday 30 January 2017

Gratitude diaries- 10

It would be quite unfair to write about Amaya and not write about Shaayra. But poor Shaayra is always playing second fiddle to Amaya and guess will continue to do so. My second niece Shaayra (spelt Shaira officially but I prefer my own spelling) was born in 2009, seven months before my twin boys. Being close to them in age, they play well together. Shaayra is not as drop-dead gorgeous-looking as her older sister. But she does remind me of her mother anyway. In many ways though, she reminds me of the childhood me. I haven't spent much time with my nieces, but the dynamics i have observed between them remind me of the dynamics between my sister and I when we were kids. I see in her behaviour the same sensitivity, moodiness, tendency to escape into books and insecurity that I used to have. But at the same time, there is also a streak of silly humour which I did not have. That streak makes me feel relieved. I hope she is able to retain it, and not become all serious-like, which she can appear, especially with her spectacles (at age 7!) and determined little chin. With the benefit of my experience, I can tell you, Shaayra, though you won't believe me, that things will change with your big sister. She won't always be mean to you. You will be able to have her as a best friend once she starts treating you as an equal, which she will when you are both older. Having an older sister is the best thing in the world. You will need to be strong, to withstand the comparison with her beauty but I think that you will be more than equal to this task. I am glad that you are there to make us laugh with your silly dances, your rhymes and your jokes. I am glad that you will be there for Amaya when she grows up because she will need you- you are the stronger of the two- though you don't know it yet. I am as proud and privileged to be your aunt as I am Amaya's. Thank you for being you.

No comments:

Post a Comment