Sunday 22 January 2017

Gratitude diaries- 7

Today's gratitude note is directed to a language rather than a person- French

I've always known I am good at languages because I scored well, at times, extraordinarily well, at languages in school- Hindi, Marathi and English. When I moved to Bombay in 1991 and started going to St. Anne's, I thought it so cool that most of the girls were studying French. I had never studied a foreign language before. Unfortunately, since I had not taken French in eighth and ninth standard, I could not suddenly take it in tenth. I did think that it was a bit unfair that the girls could score really high in French (like in the nineties out of hundred) but I could only score in the eighties at the most in Marathi. I made up my mind to rectify this disadvantage as soon as I could and I got the opportunity in my first year of Junior college where I had the option of taking French and did take it. But unfortunately, there were few teachers in the college who actually bothered to teach. There was a lady for French but she was rather lousy. I soon realised that I needed help and then I started going to for tuitions at an old Parsi lady's house. She was competent but utterly boring and though her teaching would help me to pass my first exams, it was with low marks. Then I found out about Alliance Francaise. I did a comparison of cost per hour of Alliance vs French tuitions and realised that Alliance was much more cost effective and intensive. So with an aim of scoring well in my second year of junior college in French, I joined Alliance Francaise.

I was immediately stuck by how different this was from tuitions. The contrast could not be more stark. The tuitions relied on rote but Alliance approach was fun and organic. At first, I was shy and inhibited at the group work and public speaking the course demanded. But as I realised I was getting good at French, I became more confident and started enjoying myself. The right type of teaching makes all the difference in the world. Before I started going to Alliance, I was way behind my peers, who had three years of studying French under their belt. By the time I finished my second three month course, they were all far, far behind me, in every respect- oral or written.

In hindsight, it was very good that I was part of Alliance during those years in college. I was utterly wasting my time and not learning anything useful. Picking up French helped me use my time and the interactive method of teaching forced me to meet people and interact with them. Also, it opened a window into another country- it's culture, poetry, food, art.

It was stupid of me to not continue studying with Alliance Francaise once I finished with French at college. Had I continued with it, it may have opened other doors, which may have led to other places. Anyhow, my relationship with French has continued. I went back to Alliance Francaise in 2004, after 12 years for another couple of courses. And have returned to Alliance again now, after twelve years, here in Dubai. Each time, it has fulfilled my need for mental stimulation and creativity, besides giving me a chance to interact with people from different walks of life, of different ages and at different stages in life. That's what makes Alliance interesting. and of course, the fact that I am really, really good in the class, never fails to give me a huge ego boost. Who knows, maybe I will get my diploma in French this time around, and finally start speaking fluently, like I speak English.

No comments:

Post a Comment