Monday 30 January 2017

Gratitude diaries- 9

Amaya

The first child to be born in my immediate family was Amaya. In 2006, I became a proud aunt to this little baby girl. My sister was a little bemused at first at how besotted my father appeared of this baby. She confided in me that at times my father seemed to care more about the baby's welfare than hers, a definite first! It was a similar experience to mine, where I was a bit surprised to see my sister being more tender towards another human being than towards me- a first! Now I have learnt firsthand at how kids turn everything topsy-turvy in the world, and the above two recollections no longer seem remarkable to me. Amaya has been a gorgeous girl since she was a baby- she has clearly drawn on the genetic lottery of having two good looking parents. We all feel fiercely proud that such beauty should be part of our family, but there is so much more to her than her looks!
It seems incredible that our family, which was living in villages just two generations ago, is now represented by this golden child, who straddles two nationalities with ease, has travelled to several countries and had such varied experiences- all before the age of ten. Fortunately, she is pretty well-behaved for all that, not at all spoilt or blasé which one could have expected her to be. Thank you child, for all the joy you have brought to our lives- especially to your grandfather. Your accomplishments (which are legion- horse riding, piano, ballet) are a tremendous source of joy and pride to your grandfather and mother. I am glad that you are attached to your grandfather and care a lot for him. You are a good big sister to Aseem and Sasha and listen to me in front of them and are a good role model for them to follow. Thank you for the free child labour you provide, whenever you are around (which isn't too often, sadly). I look forward to you growing up so I can lecture you on all sorts of topics and do your make up and make you look even more beautiful than you already are. I hope that you will be able to confide in me and feel safe with me and that I will be able to get through to you when your parents won't be able to. I feel really lucky and privileged to be your aunt. Bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment