Monday 16 January 2017

Gratitude diaries- 6

Sonal

I can remember having 'best friends' since second grade. Since I shifted so many schools, I had a different best friend in each school- so many best friends over my school life. But the one that stands out from all my school years is Sonal. We were friends through the ages 12 and 13, which i suppose are tumultuous- we had just attained puberty and were becoming teenagers. Sonal was probably the first person I confided in about my mom's illness, outside my family. She was terribly sweet and sympathetic. She loved me a lot and would feel my pain acutely. Through her, I also got a different perspective on my family. I'd always felt sorry for myself in the family department, but through Sonal's envious reaction on witnessing my father kissing me after returning from a tour, I realised that I was perhaps not so unlucky after all. We were extremely comfortable with each other and could talk about anything and everything. It was a first for me. I was not really used to being so open with people outside my immediate family. I am grateful to Sonal for introducing me to that, for teaching me that I need not always be so guarded. She was very much my champion, cheering me on for my intelligence and proud of my good grades. She was luckier than me in the guys department but she never rubbed it in my face. She was very encouraging about my looks and always tried to make me feel good about myself and to make the most of my looks. She was very rich and lived in a huge house, but she was extremely kind hearted and generous and never let me feel awkward about the differences in our station. I practically lived at her house and ate majority of my meals there, and the food was so yummy! I am really ashamed for falling out of touch with her during my MBA and afterwards and for forgetting to invite her for my wedding. Thank you Sonal for being my most special school friend and for your love and generosity and friendship. Gosh, we were so lucky to have each other and I, especially was really lucky to have you.

No comments:

Post a Comment