Saturday 14 January 2017

Gratitude diaries- 5

Keshmira


I just met Keshmira on Thursday, We did something we'd never done before together- grocery shopping! and then had tea. Here is a friendship that has endured for twenty-five years, starting from the first day of college in 1992 in Mumbai to the here and present in Dubai in 2017. My friendship with Keshmira and Aban has been a rock for me to lean on for most of my adult life and I count myself as extremely fortunate to have both of them in my life.

Kesh is extremely easy to talk to- not just for me, for any one. She is always ready to lend a sympathetic ear, which I have no doubt I have chewed off with many a rants over many a telephone conversations. Thanks to her, I have been able to get insight into the Bohri culture. I have always been impressed by how cosmopolitan and modern her family is, and it gives me ammunition to counter the people who tend to dismiss Muslims as conservative and backward.

We share so many memories together- of being young and carefree, having fun, experimenting with new things. It is really heart-warming to be able to go over the memories together and re-live them together. We've comforted one another through heartbreaks and disappointments and depended on one another for advice.

Kash always puts up with my excesses- I can be quite annoyingly know-it-all and arrogant about my intelligence sometimes, but she never tries to put me in my place. She is my big admirer and champion and I can always count on her for praise and cheering.

She is also very forgiving. I remember when I was upset with her in college, even called her a 'bitch' but she never held it against me.

I know that at some level my sister must be envious of the deep bond that I share with Kash and Aban, because in spite of her numerous close friends, she doesn't have this deep and steadfast friendship with another woman.

Thank you Kash, for being my friend, for always being there for me whenever I need you. Our friendship is one of the great gifts of my life and I cherish it deeply.

No comments:

Post a Comment