Sunday 5 February 2017

Gratitude diaries 21

Pushpa

Along with my team of highly qualified doctors- Dr Feroza, Dr Anahita and Dr Fazal, I also owe a huge debt of gratitude to an illiterate woman, my nanny-in-chief for taking care of my children and helping them grow into the naughty kids they are today. It is very difficult to look after premature children, even harder when they're twins, once they're home from the hospital and I couldn't have done it without Pushpa's help. Granted, I employed a lot of staff to help her and make things easier, but she was the main pillar of infrastructure put together for the kids. The early days when they were tiny babies and had to be fed with a small steel beaker called pallada, were the most difficult. I remember one occasion, when I came down with fever, and one of the babies was still in the hospital. I became depressed and was crying, thinking that I couldn't even take care of myself, how could I take care of two preemie babies. She consoled me, saying, 'why are you worried? I am here with you to help you with the babies.' She loved the babies like her own and took really good care of them, put in a lot of effort in feeding, something which I have no patience for. Thanks to their nutrition, they were able to gain weight and reach all their developmental milestones on time. Pushpa was with us till the day we left for Dubai, from the kids' birth to when they reached age six and a half. The kids and I were really lucky to have a caregiver like her and I will be eternally grateful to her for her support.

No comments:

Post a Comment