Monday 13 February 2017

Gratitude diaries 24

My mother-in-law

I've certainly had some ups and downs in my relationship with my mother-in-law, but fortunately for most part, is has been smooth sailing. She lets me be and does not try to impose her views on me. For most of my married life, she has been living with us and when she's around, she takes over the management of the household completely, which saves me a lot of time and bother. At the same time, I've always made sure that there is a lot of help and that no one is overburdened with domestic tasks. She has also pitched in actively with the kids and it is a comfort to have her around to provide supervision. It is sweet of her to cook up delicacies for the kids which they enjoy- like ladoos, which I'd never be able to make. She tends to worry a lot, even about me sometimes if I am out late without informing her, which I find sweet and motherly. My father always recalls that when the twins were born and she, along with my father-in-law reached the hospital, in a state of panic, in the dead of the night- the first thing she asked my father when she rushed over to him was, 'is Shamu alright?'. When he answered in the affirmative, she said, 'that's the main thing. then everything's fine.' and only then she asked about the babies. My father tells me he is very moved whenever he remembers this incident. She thinks of me as an integral part of her family. She refused to even consider it, when I said I could possibly skip my brother-in-law's wedding to save the airfare from Canada to India (as we were financially strained at that time), insisting that my brother-in-law pick up the tab, which he cheerfully did. I do enjoy the respect that she insists everyone give me as part of my status at the 'eldest bahu'. I enjoy being fussed over by her when I am sick. All in all, I am grateful to her for being kind, understanding and for being a loving grandma to the kids. Thank you, mummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment