Saturday 18 February 2017

Gratitude diaries 26

My longest work stint was with FHI 360 where I worked under Rajat for few years. Rajat was quite the star at FHI. He treated me with a lot of respect, right from the beginning and I was a bit nervous that his special treatment of me might put off other team members who had been around for longer, because I really wanted to belong to the team and fit in. Fortunately, I did manage to fit in and develop a rapport with most of the team members. Rajat was a hard-task master. I soon found out he had a tendency to shout and be nasty if his deadlines were not met or if anyone acted in a manner that suggested that they were undermining his authority or leadership position. People admired him, but also feared him. I soon echoed those sentiments. However, he was tremendously supportive and when goals were met and tasks accomplished to his standards (which were high), he was unfailingly appreciative. He pushed his team hard. He had strong work ethics. We had this in common. Because i was living along in Delhi and had not family or distractions, I was able to put in long hours at work and thus able to meet the work goals he set for me. It did stress me out though- those hours were unsustainable in the long run. On one occasion, we had a full-blown fight. However, he apologised and we made up soon. I learnt a lot at work through the various responsibilities he made me shoulder. He was interested in the development of his team. I became confident at work and started feeling comfortable in FHI, thanks to him. His glowing performance appraisals did a lot for my self confidence as a professional and a manager. He helped me get a transfer to Mumbai so that i could be with my family and take IVF treatment so I could start my own family. He changed his behaviour in a couple of years after I first started to work under him and learnt to restraint his temper. His team had always admired him but grew to love him when he did that. Even after he left for a position in FHI US, he kept in touch with us and kept guiding us. He was without question the best boss I have ever had and I am really honoured to have had a mentor like him. Thank you, Rajat.

No comments:

Post a Comment